Water play, gold panning, playgrounds, swimming, movies, hands-on museum stories, icecreams, hot chocolates, walking, cycling, sweet shops, famous Arrowtown pies... crystal shop... just to name a few! You can bring your family to Arrowtown and spend as little or as much as you want.
1. Family food favourites are the amazing pies and sausage rolls from the Arrowtown Bakery, sweets galore from the Remarkable Sweets store or luscious chocolates and icecreams from Patagonia Chocolates. You are spoilt for choice. Several cafes and restaurants offer great family food for all budgets, and you can't go wrong by ordering a pizza from Off Piste Pizzas and taking it down to the river.
2. Children love browsing some of the quirky shops with some treats to purchase with pocket money. Rainbow Doorways, tucked into the Coachman's Mall halfway along the main shopping street is a firm favourite for crystals and polished stones.
3. The LAKES DISTRICT MUSEUM has many hand's on exhibitions and is well priced for families to visit. This is the only museum in the district and has a wealth of information and exhibits about the early gold mining days in Arrowtown and much more.
4. Don't forget to pick up a gold pan for hire at the museum and take a 2 minute stroll down to the Arrow River to try your hand at panning.
5. Dudley's Cottage, beside the historic Chinese Settlement has gold panning troughs and can teach you how to pan for gold.
6. The Chinese Village has panels telling the story of the early Chinese miners in Arrowtown. Children love poking around the restored huts and a visit to the historic toilet is a must!
7. In summer the local open air pool is a great place to cool off. It's just 2 minutes from the main street, and right next to the Rose Douglas Park playground.
8. Biking around the Arrowtown area is easy with the flat Arrow River Trail one of several beautiful trails to ride or walk on. There are two cycle hire companies based in Arrowtown: Queenstown Bike Tours and Arrowtown Bike Hire.
9. You may just strike the latest children's movies at the Dorothy Brown's Cinema.
10. The skateboard park between the town and the river is a great spot to chill out if you have your board with you. It's sheltered and sunny.
Register Here for access to our Trade & Media Downloads