A 4.2km loop walkway along the banks of the Arrow River. This trail was built by the Otago Regional Council in 1998 to commemorate 150 years of European Settlement in Otago. It travels downstream passing the site of the Criterion Quartz Mining company, one of the first quartz mines in New Zealand which began extracting gold from there in the 1860's. It is a wide easy track overhung with Willow, Sycamore and Larch Trees. Part of this trail was the location for "The Gladden Fields" of Lord of the Rings. Form more information on Lord of the Rings sites, you can purchase "The Lord of the Rings Location Guidebook from the Lakes District Museum Shop. This trail is maintained by the Otago Regional Council.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.1
The discoverer of gold in the Arrow river was a shepherd named Jack Tewa or Maori Jack. He also won the Royal Humane medal for saving a man from drowning in Lake Wakatipu.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.2
Arrowtown had four churches representing the early immigrant populations. Catholic, Presbyterian, Anglican and Methodist. All still operate today except for the Methodist Church.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.3
Millbrook Resort is named after Mill Farm on which it sits. Mill farm was established by the Butel family who came from Normandy.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.4
They used to sell Morphine in the local drug store. That was back in the goldmining days of course!
Arrowtown Random Fact No.5
Australia’s first saint, Sister Mary MacKillop visited Arrowtown in 1897 and set up a Catholic School. Part of this school can still be visited today.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.6
The Maori name for the river is Haihainui which means ‘Big Scratches’.