"Mist frequently clings to the mountains that overlook the former gold mining settlement of Arrowtown of a morning. But as soon as the sun is up, warming the shopfront verandas along Buckingham Street, it could almost be mistaken for a town in the American Wild West, and the name Arrowtown certainly helps fuel that inclination."
"The town’s mining past can be examined through exhibits at the Lakes District Museum, while the remains of a tumbledown settlement once populated by Chinese immigrant workers offers a keen insight into what life would have been like for the miners during the gold rush."
"Hiking trails make the most of the nearby mountains while snowy slopes open during the winter to skiers over on Coronet Peak, 11 miles (17km) to the west."
The first Arrowtown School was in Buckingham Street and opened in 1863. It was on the site now occupied by the Oak development.
In the 1950’s many New Zealander’s built cribs ( holiday houses) in Arrowtown and came here for their summer holidays.
Arrowtown has one of the best preserved collection of goldfields heritage buildings in New Zealand.
The first jail in Arrowtown was simply a log. You were chained up to it. The later stone jail still exists and is in Cardigan Street. It is New Zealand’s 4th oldest jail.
The Maori name for the river is Haihainui which means ‘Big Scratches’.
Millbrook Resort is named after Mill Farm on which it sits. Mill farm was established by the Butel family who came from Normandy.
Register Here for access to our Trade & Media Downloads