With its population of a nearly 3000 people, it is small enough for friendship networks to extend far past the neighbours. Many residents are people who have eagerly made the choice to make Arrowtown their beautiful home. The population mix is a healthy one of professionals, working people, and small business owners – of retired folk, couples with families, and young people. (Arrowtown School has been one of New Zealand’s fastest growing).
The award winning Millbrook Resort, with its many residents, sits on the town’s outskirts. And the town’s attractive hinterland is the home to many people enjoying their piece of paradise on lovely lifestyle and vineyard blocks.
The result is an eclectic mix of people, delighted to live here, and to enjoy the town and each other. It also means there is a good range of clubs, services, and facilities.
Click below for
Arrowtown had four churches representing the early immigrant populations. Catholic, Presbyterian, Anglican and Methodist. All still operate today except for the Methodist Church.
The discoverer of gold in the Arrow river was a shepherd named Jack Tewa or Maori Jack. He also won the Royal Humane medal for saving a man from drowning in Lake Wakatipu.
The first jail in Arrowtown was simply a log. You were chained up to it. The later stone jail still exists and is in Cardigan Street. It is New Zealand’s 4th oldest jail.
Australia’s first saint, Sister Mary MacKillop visited Arrowtown in 1897 and set up a Catholic School. Part of this school can still be visited today.
Arrowtown was originally known as Fox’s. named after William Fox an early gold discoverer. Then it was known as The Arrow and later Arrowtown.
Millbrook Resort is named after Mill Farm on which it sits. Mill farm was established by the Butel family who came from Normandy.
Register Here for access to our Trade & Media Downloads